TikTok is quickly becoming a marketing hub, for brands to sell and pitch their products and services. In the US alone, TikTok has 100 million monthly active users, which is a small portion of the billion people using TikTok globally. The marketing side of TikTok can become a great channel for your brand to grow. Though other TikTokers will compete with you, competition hasn’t reached an all-time high on the app yet. If you are new to TikTok, this blog will help you figure out how to grow your brand and sell your products on the interface.
Though there has been some recent discourse about data privacy and TikTok not really going hand-in-hand, TikTok’s popularity is still growing at a fast pace. Now, let’s take a deep dive together on how to expand on the power of TikTok and truly harness it to take your brand’s marketing strategy to the next level.
TikTok: Why Use it for Marketing?
A common misconception made by business owners is that TikTok is only used by preteens. Business owners have used this as a reason to not dive into using TikTok as a marketing tool. However, in the US alone, around 38% of TikTokers are over the age of 30. TikTok is attracting a wide range of people, causing more brands to buy TikTok views. Since many brands have not harnessed the marketing side of TikTok yet, you can use this low business competition as an opportunity. TikTok can help you reach more customers at a low cost, and keep reading to find out how to use it for your business.
TikTok: How Does it Work?
To figure out how to make the most of TikTok, the first step is to cover how the platform works.
TikToks are usually 15-second videos and can be combined with upto 3 other videos to make a 60-second video. Users interact with TikToks by scrolling through their feeds. TikToks can usually be customized in really cool ways with background music and editing effects. At one point in time, this caused dance videos to become really popular on the app. Every TikToker would often record themselves doing a dance challenge to a particular song.
Like other social media apps, users can like, comment on, or share the TikToks via direct message, SMS, and other apps. The one thing about TikTok though, is that engagement figures are extremely high. Influencer Marketing Hub conducted a study and the results proved that TikTok beat all other platforms when it came to engagement levels across account levels of different popularities. Users spend about an average of 45 minutes daily on TikTok which can easily become an hour.
As a brand, it’s key to have a TikTok profile and get yourself a loyal follower base. Your TikTok followers can set up notifications so that they are aware of when you make a post. However, the difficult part comes to creating content that resonates with TikTokers. This problem occurs because the content and content style on TikTok is quite different from other social media platforms. A tip from us is to just observe how the app works for a week or two, and really tap into your inner consumer. This will help your brand develop a feel for thinks on the app, and make TikTok marketing strategies come to you a lot easier.
TikTok Marketing: Creating Videos
There are a few simple steps to creating marketing TikToks. Here is a rundown of the steps brands should follow to create content on the app.
- Click on the “plus” sign that you see when you open TikTok.
- Record a video on the screen that allows you to do so.
- Record a 15-second video or combine recorded videos for upto 60 seconds.
- Look at the upper right corner for TikTok recording options.
- Play around with editing features like the speed option to make your TikToks more unique
- Add animations to your TikToks or use effects like “augmented reality.” You can make it seem like you are interacting with products
- you sell, or other virtual items or change your appearance.
- After recording a TikTok, you’ll have access to a post production feature.
- In the post-production area, you can play around with more editing features. These include voice effects and filters, amongst other customizations.
- Complete all the editing in the post-production phase and make use of all the trendy editing features.
- Go to the upload page on TikTok.
- Choose an accurate “cover” which gives TikTok users the a small preview into what they’re going to watch.
- Add relevant hashtags. Hashtags play a huge role in the discoverability factor of your TikToks. You can use hashtags like #ForYou, but you need to tailor the hashtags you use for your targeted audience. Your used hashtags also need to represent the theme and central idea of your TikTok.
- Make sure the cover image you choose also represents the most alluring part of your TikTok. The more captivating your cover image, the more likely people are to click on your videos and watch them all the way till the end.
- Lastly, press the “post” button and your TikTok will be added to your library.
You can also automatically share your TikToks to other social media platforms like Instagram and X to gain more traction. Individuals from other social media platforms are likely to follow you on TikTok as well is they like your content.
The Bottom Line: TikTok Marketing
We hope this blog helped you understand the process of using TikTok for marketing and why you need to use TikTok to grow your brand. TikTok isn’t on the same level as other social media platforms, having different editing styles, a different layout, and different trends. Once you understand how TikTok works, you can convert it into an important marketing strategy from your brand. This will help you tap into a huge customer base at a low cost. Harnessing TikTok can truly set you apart from other brands in your industry.